Monday, June 1, 2015

1st letter in the field from Portola, CA - Week 6


Hey Everyone!! I am serving in a little town in Northern California called Portola.  It's a super little town with like 3,000 people but it's super pretty, big tall pine trees everywhere. It's a lot of fun being a missionary, I'll tell you about a cool story here in a minute. 

But just to catch you up I arrived in Reno last Tuesday and the mission president and his wife picked us up and took us to the mission home in Sparks Nevada.  So there we had about 6 hours of orientation which was a little difficult because everyone was a bit tired to say the least, but after that we found out who our trainers were going to be and I'm getting trained by Elder Corry. He's a super great missionary and we get along super well.  He is from Washington D.C.  

So then we got in our truck (Yes we have a truck in our area it's super cool) and stopped by the store and then proceeded on the hour drive from Sparks,NV to Portola, CA. and then the work started and I have loved every second of it. It's super fulfilling and absolutely awesome.
Elder Walker & Elder Corry - Chillin' on P-day
So real quick I'll share a awesome experience I had on Friday.

So, we were having a pretty discouraging day honestly nothing seemed to be going right we were walking around and couldn't find anyone at all to teach, it was not fun. So finally we made it back into our truck and decided it was time to say a prayer so that we could be guided.  
I said the prayer asking Heavenly Father to help us know where we should go and we just listened for a few minutes and I had a name keep popping into my head over and over, which was weird because we had just drove by this families house ten minutes before. It didn't look like anyone was home but I told my companion and without hesitating he drove straight to this families home and we ended up having an amazing lesson with the father and I honestly think he is progressing really well. 
After we got out of the lesson I was talking to my companion and told him that that was the only name I could think of at all and he said that the prompting he got was to listen to his companion.  So because we put our faith in the Lord and listened, great things happened. That's not the only experience like that I've had in this short time I've been in the field but I know that Heavenly Father is watching over us and that this is truly his work and honestly he is working shoulder to shoulder with us every day and I love being a missionary soooo much.

Anyways I love you all and you're in my prayers everyday.

And P.S. I'll be in Portola for at least 6 weeks and if my visa get's here after the 6 Weeks then I'll be here for 12.

Thanks for all the emails and support I love you all!!


No comments:

Post a Comment